In the wee small hours of the morning....two moms were chatting from almost 2000 miles apart. They were seperated by two times zones, 30+ driving hours, a very large mountain range and more rivers than you want to count...but connected by good friendship and four little girls who adore each other....



Monday, October 17, 2011

U is for Umbrella

Rain by Peter Spier, has been one of my favorite books for as long as I can remember. It is a true picture book, no words but plenty of story to take in. I remember it feeling like a special occasion to get to sit and read this book with my mom when I was little. We'd sit down and take in every detail of the book.... all the little things that you can do on a rainy day to make it special... If you haven't read this one you really should put it on your must do list! :)




Living in the Pacific NW, we all know that rainy season is upon us. We had a beautiful summer and now it's time to gear up for a chilly and wet fall!! So.... I thought it would be fun to encorporate the rain into our ABC book! When  I got to the planning for the letter "U" it was an easy choice to do "umbrella"!

The kids set to work making puddles on their paper with watercolor paint.... brace yourself... here comes the real fun!! Then we used straws to blow the paint into splatters! :) I love the way they all turned out!! I can remember doing these in school when my mom was teaching my art class, and if I'm not mistaken she did this project in school too!! There are so many things you could do with this project. One summer we used one red white and blue and said they were fireworks... or you could draw faces and make them into animals or aliens! lol

Once the splattered masterpieces dried, we added some umbrellas glued on....I forget to take a picture of the finished product but will try to add it later. :)

Stop back by on Friday to link up any projects you have done using umbrellas and/rain! :)

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful & colorful!!! I am enjoying reading and look forward to more as I am always looking for a few book/work tie ins for each week... we are doing Town Mouse, Country Mouse right now :)

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think...please let us know how you've been able to use this entry and a link to your post if you'd like!