In the wee small hours of the morning....two moms were chatting from almost 2000 miles apart. They were seperated by two times zones, 30+ driving hours, a very large mountain range and more rivers than you want to count...but connected by good friendship and four little girls who adore each other....



Friday, November 12, 2010

The Night before Thanksgiving from Texas

Hi ya'll I am Jackie from Texas, I haven't formally introduced myself, so....here it goes. I am a homeschool mom of two girls, a wife, and a woman who loves to get crafty with my girls. Like Hallie explained in her first post we are friends that have girls that adore each other and ...well we miss each other like crazy. So what a better way to keep connected but with books and crafts.

As I was thinking today what I was going to write, I realized we have less than two weeks until we wake up to the smell of the turkey in the oven and the parade on the tv. This book reminded me of my childhood with the parade on the television while my mom was cooking. Then to go to visit relatives that we only saw that one holiday a year. Where the table was full of food and the dessert table was just as big.

So we started thinking about what could we use on our Thankgiving table that would remind us of this book. We decided to make napkin rings with pilgrim hats on them. Here are some pictures and directions if you want to create some to add to your table.


This is what our napkin rings look like for Thanksgiving day.











Supplies needed:
1 toilet paper roll
black yarn
6x6 in piece of black foam
4 small wooden flower pots
black paint
white ribbon
glue

1. Cut the toilet paper roll into 4 equal parts, then use one of the rings as a pattern for the hat brims.











2. Wrap the paper rings with black yarn, you will need to use the glue to glue the yarn end on the
inside of the ring.









3. Then paint the wooden flower pots black.











4. Glue time!! My favorite time of the project when everything comes together.

You will have to bare with me I do not type or write a smoothly as Hallie, but I do love to come up with new crafts to try. I hope you enjoyed the book and would love to hear what treasures you have created to celebrate Thanksgiving with your kiddos.


3 comments:

  1. You write perfectly smooth lady! ;) I can't wait to try this out! We are having an early turkey day with family and I think this might be just perfect for the cousins to work on this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book is ordered. Going out to get the supplies in a few hours. Do you put glue all over the tubes for the yarn? Or is it enough at the start and finish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, fellow Texas. i am from the Round Rock area.

    I teach kindergarten. Two books I love to use in November are Pumpkin Soup and A Turkey for Thanksgiving. (Eve Bunting).

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think...please let us know how you've been able to use this entry and a link to your post if you'd like!