In the wee small hours of the morning....two moms were chatting from almost 2000 miles apart. They were seperated by two times zones, 30+ driving hours, a very large mountain range and more rivers than you want to count...but connected by good friendship and four little girls who adore each other....



Tuesday, November 23, 2010

There was an old Lady...still in Montana!

I have to start off by apologizing for my entries being so late!! I really thought that I had it all planned out for doing things on the trip and during our visit to Montana, and well....the best layed plans....sometimes have to get adjusted! lol We have been having such a good time that the days seem to get away from me and it's not until today, the day we were supposed to be leaving, that I am having the chance to get caught up! lol Have you seen the weather in the northwest? lol We are getting an extended vacation so I thought this snowy day would be a good chance to get caught up on things!! We are just sitting tight in the warmth of Grandma and Grandpa's house...watching holiday movies and reading the books we've been collecting on our thrift store outings! lol What a great day for some good books and knitting! :)

....now back to the books!





We actually haven't gotten to read "I know an Old Lady who swallowed a pie" yet, as I had it ordered in what I thought was plenty of time...only to find out out that it would be delivered in the mail the day after we left on our trip! So...we have been reading other variations of the story online including " I know an old lady who swallowed a cheeseburger"! that I found HERE (scroll down to the bottom for link). The girls thought it was hilarious and have been repeating it over and over .... and over....  :)

And they really liked the puppets that we made, which I found links for on Almost Unschoolers. The possibilities for this puppet are endless!!! I have been wanting to make one of my puppets to go along with this but until I dig out all my puppet stash, this paper bag one will just have to do!

In addition to the puppet, we've been gearing up for our second annual Random Act of Kindness Pies! These little guys are just too cute and super easy to make!


You'll need :

bottle caps (we have friends collecting them and then we spray paint over the logo or you can buy them in craft stores...but hey! Why not recycle?!)

little bits of brown felt

CLEAR craft glue (I used Clear Gel Tacky Glue)

Seed beads in your choice of pie colors!


First glue in a small circle of brown felt to the middle of the bottle cap, be sure to push it in firmly so that it looks like a pie crust!

Next, fill the "pie" with clear glue and top with beads...

Glue on small strips to the top of the pie and let dry for a day or two...


These little pies work great for doll houses or attach a magnet or pin back and they make a great little gift! We'll be making them in mass quantities to hand out this holiday season. I challenge everyone to make a few extras this season and to pass them out when you come upon someone that looks like they could use a bit of kindness thrown in their direction!

Last year, we were known to hand them out to sales people (you know they could all use some extra kindness this season as I doubt they get much consideration while helping all those busy shoppers!) people working the toll booths on those much traveled highways (boy did we get some happy smiles!) and they were handed out to  number of greeters at Walmart (I wonder how many people walk right by them without even saying hello?) Six months later, we were still seeing our pies on the work vests of many retail workers and the girls were always so excited to see that their pies were so loved!!


1 comment:

  1. After getting one of your adorable pies I made a few for M's tea set {very small plates!}. She loves them! I think I did it backwards tho'... I filled the pie with beads & drizzled a ton of glue on top. lol. They were still cute. I used some of the bottle caps that we used/found while in Belize several years ago. I also made her a few other things that I think I neglected to photograph... have to remember to photo them next time.
    Anyway, I'll get my post up soon! Enjoy your snow days!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think...please let us know how you've been able to use this entry and a link to your post if you'd like!